Involving our patients and families in Tennessee is so important. Health outcomes are better when patients and families are informed and part of the decision making process. Patient Family Engagement refers to the active involvement of patients and their families in their healthcare decisions, treatment plans, and overall healthcare experience. This concept recognizes that healthcare is not just between a patient and a healthcare provider but a collaborative partnership that includes the patient’s family members and loved ones in shared decision making.
TIPQC will continue our Patient & Family Partner (PFP) statewide council. In addition, hospitals will be engaging PFPs for all projects. These critical members of our teams will have the opportunity for continued training through Momma’s Voices.
- Family Involvement in Quality Improvement Celenza, et al., Vermont Oxford Network
- PFCC Organizational Self Assessment Tool Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) & National Institute for Children’s Health Quality (NICHQ)
- Attitudes About Patients & Families as Advisors (checklist) Institute for Patient & Family Centered Care (IPFCC)
- Hospital Self-Assessment Inventory IPFCC & American Hospital Association (AHA)
- A Leadership Resource for Patient and Family Engagement Strategies Health Research Educational Trust (HRET)
- Creating a Patient and Family Advisory Council Toolkit NICHQ
- Patient and Family Advisory Council Toolkit University Hospitals
- Supporting Patient and Family Engagement: Best Practices for Hospital Leaders, Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ)
- Guide to Patient and Family Engagement in Hospital Quality and Safety AHRQ
- Advancing the Practice of Patient – and Family Centered Care in Hospitals: How to Get Started, AHA
- Advancing the Practice of Patient- and Family-Centered Ambulatory Care: How to Get Started, IPFCC